Sunday, August 18, 2013

ENGLISH TOFFEE MERINGUE PIE

ENGLISH TOFFEE MERINGUE PIE
One of my personal favorite summertime treats as an adult has to be English Toffee.  Not just ANY English Toffee, but that which can be purchase at Pemberton’s Candies both in Lockport, Illinois and during the summer months at The Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, Wisconsin.  I was first introduced to these delicious confections when I began participating at Bristol in 2003, and have made a point yearly of grabbing a small box when I could during the season.
As in previous posts, I’ve mentioned my fondness for and previous experience with Bristol.  I began my involvement with the group The Guilde of St. George, who  portray the Court of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth I of England.  I spent a number of years in various roles with St. George before transitioning to The Guilde of St. Michael, a fantastic group of people who portray and demonstrate both military and middle-class Elizabethan era life.  Through all the summers of involvement, be it schlepping around in multiple layers of 1570’s inspired clothing or toting a pike, there was always a sense of belonging, and there was always toffee. 
Needless to say, my thoughts have obviously been drifting to the Illinois – Wisconsin State Line lately, and of the many things I’ve experienced from my time at Bristol was that sometimes, the things that seem the most challenging are, and more so are meant to teach you something.  For example, I joined the Guilde of St. Michael to be their camp cook.  I was terrified of carrying a pike, which is like an incredibly long spear which is about 18 feet high with a pointy spearhead.  There was footwork, hand placement, and the all-encompassing attention needed to maneuver this.  Fortunately, I had some amazingly patient and willing friends that worked with me, and in the end, I was toting a pike with the block with comfort and even a little confidence.  To those who helped not only shape an Elizabethan cook into a soldier, and in many ways an intrepid and insecure guy into the guy he became, thank you.  Thank you for being my friends and extended family.
So, if I could become comfortable toting a crazy-long pointy stick, why not try a meringue?  Granted, I’d made exactly ONE meringue before in my life.  One.  And I was 13.  But let’s be honest here.  Meringue is not exactly slapping together a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.  It takes some deft finesse, and even the best chefs and bakers manage to cock ‘em up pretty good.  So, was I capable?  I carried a pike, so what did I have to lose?  And so I did!  And so can YOU!
ENGLISH TOFFEE MERINGUE PIE:

PIE FILLING:
·         1 Pre-Made Pastry OR Shortbread Pie Crust
·         1 ½ Cups Light Brown Sugar
·         2/3 Cup Corn Starch
·         ½ tsp. Salt
·         4 Cups Milk
·         6 Slightly Beaten Egg Yolks (Reserve Whites for Meringue)
·         6 Tbs. Butter
·         2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
·         4-6 Oz. Heath Candy Bar Pieces


MERINGUE:
·         6 Egg Whites
·         1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
·         ½ tsp. Cream of Tartar
·         12 Tbs. Sugar


DIRECTIONS:

FOR PIE FILLING:
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Gradually stir in milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.  Cook and stir 2 minutes. 

Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the slightly beaten egg yolks.  Blend together, and mix back into the hot mixture.  Cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and vanilla and stir in until butter is melted.  Allow to cool slightly and add Heath bar pieces, stirring until well blended.  Pour mixture into pie shell.

FOR MERINGUE TOPPING:
Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.  Beat on high speed with an electric mixer.  Gradually add sugar, beating in until stiff and glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.  Spread meringue over hot pie filling, sealing to edge of pie crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment